Thursday, November 06, 2008

Admitting What You Don't Know

Certainly we all do our best to be the best we can be. But let's face it, we don't know everything. At least I know I don't know everything. For years as a younger sales person I used to think I had to know it all. I believed this so much that I would fake like I knew what I was talking about with my prospects and fellow sales associates.

The interesting thing about faking it is that the people who know more than we do will know right off that bat that we're faking it. Oh, they may not say anything but believe me they know. I used to hear the saying "fake it til you make it" as I was getting started in sales. To this day I wish I never heard this statement. Thank God a seasoned veteran in sales got a hold of me and helped me understand that it is OK to say, "I don't know but can I find out and get back with you" These words were so liberating. I had finally reached a point of not having to put so much pressure on myself to be the end all be all sales guy.

Admitting what we don't know has some great advantages:

1. We relieve ourselves from unnecessary pressure of having to have all the answers

2. We put our clients at ease because they don't think we're a know it all

3. We get the opportunity to learn from our colleagues

4. We experience a more natural maturation process

5. We will eventually become a mentor to others because we've been there and done that

Talk about being a free man! I'm a free man today because I don't hesitate to ask others for assistance on my behalf and on behalf of my clients.

Ced Reynolds

Career Recruiter


Do yourself a favor and take advantage of a risk assessment tool I make available to my business clients. Don't worry, it's free. Just click here and you'll be directed to a page that explains the benefits of the tool.




No comments: